baking adventures

Monday, November 27, 2006

commuting commentary

I see the weirdest things commuting in NYC. Way weirder than I ever would have in Boston.

The day before Thanksgiving, when I got off the train at Hoboken, there were bunches of men in camouflage and blue uniforms with semi automatic guns. They were passing out fliers that the color of alert had risen to yellow. I don't think I should have to look at guns until after I had caffeine. I think that is fair.

Today I saw a woman on the train that looked like she had so much plastic surgery that she was wearing a mask. You know how you can't believe what your eyes are seeing that you find yourself just gazing back when you know should just move on? How is it her wrinkled hands look 60, but the skin on her face looks like a 20 year old models'? Also, is the sun out in some part of the northeast where I could still get a tan? Oh, she must not be telling where it is... maybe it only shines on the balcony of her condo.

Every now and then I see a little girl and her mom on the train at the end of the day. The little girl is maybe about 2 years old and is always snacking. She's super cute and so content just shoveling food into her face at the end of a long day. But the poor kid seems to inevitably dump her muffin or cookie or whatever on the floor of the train. If she wasn't strapped in her stroller she'd definitely just get down and eat off the floor. I always feel so bad for her. I think her mom must anticipate this because she always has a little store of what the girl was eating to replenish a little tupperware cup. Otherwise she fusses and cries, but not too much... she stops after she gets her sippy cup.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the "train people" when I come to visit you this christmas! Only a few more weeks. I hope to read about a few more adventures before then!

11/28/2006 12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home