baking adventures

Saturday, September 23, 2006

The Modern

I'm just gonna throw this out there... it's good to dine out in NYC as a single woman... if you go to the right place...

I went for Free Fridays at MoMA... stayed for dinner at The Modern.... and stayed for 3 more drinks... and got rose petals in my chocolate champagne... mmmm...

I ate at the bar... the bartender was intoxicatingly attentive, and I'm talking about more than just the way he poured drinks... I just hope the tip I left him conveyed my appreciation...

Here is what I had... started with a Pinot Blanc from Alsace... had a tarte flambee - a crispy thin pizza like round covered with a thin layer of sweet onions, ham and cheese (not sure what exactly the cheese was... maybe parmesan)... moved onto a Chardonnay from South Africa (that I see now isn't even for sale by the glass) to accompany my wild mushroom soup... the soup came with 3 little fried ravioli - which looked like mini empanadas - stuffed with chorizo... deliciously spicy!... then the duck confit - a crispy duck leg sprinkled with shallots with frisee salad with vinagrette and I suspect slightly sauteed and potatoes "lyonnaise" and a red wine reduction swirled around the plate... then a chocolate tarte with vanilla ice cream - actually the least impressive item of the whole night... accompanied by a sweetly, thick red dessert wine (Banyuls "Helyos")... then the a signature cocktail - Coming up Roses... then a specially made chocolate champagne cocktail... caught the 10:45 train back to NJ...

a delicious evening... and now sweet dreams...

2 Comments:

Blogger Tisra said...

Ahhh....the life of luxury for the single gal in New York. I'm sure you are "on a budget", being a student and all, but you seem to splurge in all the right places. What fun!

How is school going?

9/26/2006 9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After that description I can't wait to get back to NY to dine out! I don't think there is a single place here in Grenada that would have such a wonderful dining experience!

9/28/2006 7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home