baking adventures

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Mission Statement

Mission statements aren't easy to write, neither are concept statements - combining all your ideas for a business into about 10 sentences. Ideas that are bouncing and jumping around your mind, and "what ifs", and all of it multiply, make those things hard to grab on to. In class were wasting no time and already working on our business plan.

When I sat down last Wednesday to write a first draft of a mission statement I chose something I've always wanted to do - at least since high school - a bed and breakfast. I fashioned the b&b after all the great summer weekends I've spent over the last few years in RI with Cathy, Paul, Brooke, Kev, Cait and Hannah. It's something I definitely have in my heart to do some day - I'm afraid my life might run out before I get to do all the things I want to...

Anyway, after a weekend of reading assignments, I realized that a b&b is going to be highly concentrated on the "bed" part and since I'm in culinary management and not hotel management, I decided that to get the most out of my work in this class I need to go with another one of my many food service centric ideas... so an artsy ice cream shop it is... and that's all I'm revealing right now.

I'm going to try to do something interest (at least to me) each day so I know I'm living the best I can and I'll post them every now and then... so here it goes...
Highlight of Sunday: visiting the Farmer's Market - there is a pickle vendor!
Highlight of Monday: getting "going back to school" shoes from Ellen!
Highlight of Tuesday: co-purchasing Grey's Anatomy vol.1 & vol.2 dvds with Ellen ... and ... making a successfully juicy, flavorful roasted chicken for Grandma and Ellen, and Phyllis

For all my fellow Cook's Illustrated/Cook's Country/America's Test Kitchen fans: check out the upcoming appearances in your area
For anyone interested in unique and touching food history: check out the Kitchen Sisters on tour and possibly stopping in your area

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I saw that you went to purchase Grey's Anatomy, I thought, "Why would she need an anatomy book in culinary school?" Then I saw that they were DVDs... Phew! for a minute there I thought you were learning to butcher people...

9/13/2006 8:29 AM  
Blogger jen said...

OOOHHHH no! That would be horrible. I imagine that this show isn't available in Grenada, but it is an addicting show about med school interns in Seattle. It all starts by one of the interns sleeping with a man she expect never to see... only to find out on her first day on the job he's pretty much one of her bosses! How could you not love that? Well, when you get back to the states, if you're in NYC, then I'll see if I can get you hooked by bringing the DVDs over!

9/13/2006 4:50 PM  
Blogger Tisra said...

No events near me. :-(

But, whoever these Kitchen Sisters are, they will be in San Fran when Eric and I will, before Kim's wedding. We're planning other things, though. Alcatraz, Winchester Mystery House, China Town....as much as we can cram into 1.5 days before needing to be in Napa.

I am really intrigued by the business ideas you have.

I've never watched Grey's Anatomy. BUT, I had to laugh at your description...isn't that just the trouble you get into when you sleep with someone you never expect to see again?! Hee.

9/13/2006 5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home