baking adventures

Friday, September 01, 2006

Cake Toppers

My brother, Mike, blew glass cake toppers for all the cakes. It was really great to have them, because that meant I didn't have to go crazy on frosting designs. I could keep it simple and have those pieces highlighted. Plus I was running sooo late on finishing the cakes there was no way I would have found time to make decorations that didn't look like complete crap. I'll have time for that in class because in one of the modules I have to make a wedding cake.

Anyway, I wanted to post some close ups of the glass pieces my brother made for the cakes.

These are small bananas, about 3 inches long. They were made for the banana cake with sour cream gananche and carmelized bananas in the middle.

This is the little scene from the country cake. I built a little hill of frosting so that I could scrape off the little pieces before the cake was cut and served. Mike went all out on this one. He made a little cottage - complete with windows and an ajar door. He made the stream and different sized rocks. Definitely one of my favorite parts of this whole scene were the little shrubs - some with little red flowers. This cake was a buttermilk cake with berry buttercream filling and berries in between the layers, and a vanilla buttercream frosting.

This is a lemon with a sunshine on top, for the lemon sunshine cake. The lemon is even all dimpled like how real lemons are. This cake was a lemon chiffon cake, with lemon curd filling and vanilla buttercream frosting.

This is the topper for the main 2 tiered cake. At first glance it might not make much sense, but I think that is how Mike intended it. It was special for Mike and Ally, and now everyone will know - so sorry Mike & Ally! When I was little girl, me and my friends used to try to freak out the boys by saying to them "elephant shoe" except we would not actually let the words come out of our mouth. The shape of the mouth when saying these words looks like "I love you." Anyway, "island view" creates the same shape with the mouth. The best thing about this though, is that Mike isn't teasing Ally, it's just one more way to tell her how much he loves her. That's awesome. The other glass piece here are two octopus tentacles holding an orb. That piece is reminiscent of what Mike and Ally designed for their rings. The top tier of the cake was chocolate with peanut butter filling and vanilla buttercream frosting. The bottom tier of the cake was butter cake with a berry buttercream filling and vanilla buttercream frosting.

2 Comments:

Blogger EarthMotherRetiring said...

Hi Honey,

I am so proud of all you did to make those cakes happen. They were all so yummy. You worked so hard to make it perfect for Mike and Ally, and it was perfect. Every last detail. You will go far in your endeavors as a pastry chef. Like Uncle Paul said, he wasn't sure that you needed to go to school because you did such a wonderful job with this. I agree but understand that there is more to learn. Enjoy every step of the journey. You will be successful in everything you do because you do it with such passion and care. I love you very much! XOXOX, Mom

9/01/2006 3:05 PM  
Blogger Tisra said...

Two artists in the family, huh? Mike with his glass and you with your pastry. Completely sweet.

9/02/2006 5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home