baking adventures

Monday, July 17, 2006

Thank you Mr. Bello!

Who is Mr. Bello you ask? Mr. Alberto Bello? Well, he is someone who has really helped me out, and I'm totally honored! Today I received notice that I am the recipient of the Alberto Bello Memorial Scholarship! The scholarship is distributed through the one, the only, James Beard Foundation. The scholarship that I received is specifically for someone making a career change and attending the ICE. How cool? Well, that is the rhetorical question of the day for me! I truly hope that some day I will be able to sponsor a scholarship just like Mr. Bello!

Additionally, to even be affiliated in some small way with the James Beard Foundation is so cool! Each year the Foundation names "best chefs" for all regions of the country, holds dinners at the James Beard House in NYC and sponsors countless other events throughout the year. I sure hope this is my "toe in the door" to volunteer to help prep or attend events at this really amazing place!

5 Comments:

Blogger Tisra said...

BIG Congratulations! What an honor, and a much appreciated help with cost, I bet.

I thought of you and your new career as Eric and I watched a TiVoed episode of "Hell's Kitchen" last night. That guy is completely insane!

7/18/2006 9:16 AM  
Blogger jen said...

I love him! If you get the BBC America channel, on Wednesday nights there is a show called Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. He comes off as such an major jerk on Hell's Kitchen, but on the BBC show, he goes in and tries to help turn around a failing restaurant. You really see how much he cares about these people and loves what he does. He may yell and swear, but I think that is his way of really trying to find out who is compassionate about their work or not.

7/18/2006 10:15 AM  
Blogger EarthMotherRetiring said...

I am so proud of you, Jen. You have worked so hard for all you have accomplished. You are so deserving of that scholarship. I am very happy for you. May this adventure be EVERYTHING that you envision it to be. Love, Mom

7/18/2006 3:05 PM  
Blogger mikeshelbo said...

hoooooooooooooooraaahhhhhh hooray!

7/25/2006 3:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jen

Congratulations on your scholarship!! You deserve it and I am sure they will be glad they invested in you!!
I am really enjoying all of your stories about the volunteer kitchens

Julie Williams

7/27/2006 7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home