baking adventures

Thursday, July 06, 2006

trying something new

I've read quite a few "recipes" on how to sugar violets. It is sort of cool, you can take a flower you grew (that is edible), paint it with egg white, coat it in sugar and let them dry - and all this (I think) is supposed to preserve them. From pictures I've seen they retain their shape, are relatively the same color they started out as (unless the are really old or faded by sunlight) and look just lovely. So after consulting a few cookbooks and other online recipes I decided to try it out.


I didn't have superfine sugar, so I decided to go ahead with the regular grains of sugar. It seemed like it was all working out just fine in the beginning. Unfortunately, I might have chosen to do this on one of the most humid days yet this summer, so as you might imagine, the drying out process didn't go so well. Within 24 hours, instead of having lovely little crystaled jems, I ended up with soggy, wimpy, gooey piles. So moral of the story... next time I'll try: brushing on a thinner layer of egg white, actually using superfine sugar, hanging the flowers by the stem, and most of all - doing this in a dry heat situation.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tisra said...

Hey Jen! I saw this done years ago with the egg wash, but they put the flowers layered in a container with the sugar all around it. After a few days it was preserved and the excess (unbonded) sugar shakes right off. I imagine that the extra sugar in with the flower helps to wick even more moisture away from the flower. I wish I knew the source or more details. Also- is there any worry about the bacteria in egg whites? I wonder what else could be used?

7/07/2006 1:15 PM  
Blogger EarthMotherRetiring said...

I also saw this done by completely covering the flowers in sugar. Not sure if the egg is a problem. I kinda think the raw egg/salmonella problem is a bit over-exagerated. Wash the shell, dry, then crack the egg. That will minimize the problem. Love, Mom

7/10/2006 1:32 PM  
Blogger mikeshelbo said...

yummy yummy yummy i got flowers in my tummy.... and i think i feel alright.... flowers such a sweet thing good enough to eat thing... my mommy said im not to brite.. just kidding... also i did this a bit ago...
http://misterbelsho.blogspot.com/
so i could be a postin on your boastin....
love mike

7/16/2006 1:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home