baking adventures

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

differences

This evening, in the pouring rain, I made my way to a neighborhood filled with industrial warehouses and uneven sidewalks to attend an orientation meeting so that I can volunteer at an organization that serves 650 meals to people living with HIV, AIDS, cancer and other forms of life threatening diseases. I certainly didn't mind going to this area, an area of Boston that seems not to fit exactly into surrounding neighborhoods, (despite the big new hotel that seems to be forcing itself onto a nearby corner encouraging shops and restaurants to fill its' out of the way lobby spaces). I want to volunteer here to understand how an industrial kitchen works, as well as to do something meaningful for a few of my fellow citizens of (greater) Boston. I realized while I was sitting there though, that this experience is meant for more than just my wanting to do something "good."

Do you know how important hand washing is? Well, for everyone that has ever been served anything I've made, have no fear... I am constantly washing my hands while cooking and baking. But that simple (at least 20 second) task is put into great perspective when you consider that the tinyiest germ on your hands could transmit a disease or toxin to a person that has virtually no immune system. I think that after volunteering here I will never forget the importance of washing my hands.

Another thing that struck me while I was sitting there was that probably at least 2 of the people in the orientation meeting might also be looking at this as an opportunity to get a meal themselves. I'm not trying to put that down. It just makes me realize that I'm one lucky young lady.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tisra said...

Wow. The gaining of new perspective is always worth documenting. I hope you'll write about the experiences you have there.

7/13/2006 9:31 AM  
Blogger EarthMotherRetiring said...

Yep, that handwashing thing has been ever present in my career. Now you know why my hands were so chapped sometimes! It's good that you are doing this project while you are in Boston. These kitchens are worthy causes. This can show you how a big kitchen works! Keep telling the story. Love, Mom

7/15/2006 11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no one wants to eat anyone elses funk. nuff said.

7/16/2006 1:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home