baking adventures

Sunday, April 01, 2007

I'm already in the shit...

Okay... quick post because it is 3:30am & I need to be back at work in 11 hours... yeah... what the f^%$?

So just in case you were wondering, working in a kitchen is nothing (NOTHING, just in case you didn't catch it the first time) like being in pastry school. I thought I was stressed about that shit cake & silly little chocolate showpiece I made!?!? HAHAHAHA! I laugh in the face of that crap now!

So here is my day #1: Some time in the afternoon on Friday, the 40 qt. Hobart mixer breaks in the pastry kitchen. No one can repair it until god knows when... "The bad news is, the Hobart is broken, the good news is, we have an extern starting today." I train with the most relaxed (aka fucking lazy) girl on the whole staff and under her direction manage to do one wrong thing after another. It isn't a pretty night... when 12 midnight rolls around, there are still 4 things on our list to do... if we had done the shit right we originally were supposed to do, I wouldn't have left feeling like maybe I made the worst mistake of my life... I somehow manage to catch the last train home to NJ. Luckily on that train is my friend Ravi from school and he listens to me bitch for a few minutes and reassures me that it will be okay. I get home and somehow manage not to cry myself to sleep.

Day #2: Either I get into work an hour early, or I take a leisurely stroll thru Union Square Greenmarket before being fashionable early to work... so I take the stroll. People are out in storm buying pussywillows. Those things are selling like friggin hotcakes! I go into work. I find out I'm the only one on the shift me and the lazy girl shared last night. I got there 20 minutes early and I'm so far in the fucking weeds, I should have just worked all night long... despite that, I do better tonight than last night. The Hobart is still broken so I have to batch out 8 times for the coffeecake batter. I hate the coffeecake muffins now. I'm still in the shit, so my chef stays til 5 after midnight to help me out. She works like lightning speed. I aspire to do that some day...

And when that day comes... I'm going to one day hire an over-acheiving pastry school grad, break my fucking Hobart, watch that extern twist and turn out there struggling for the last bit of air, let her go home & wake up at 7am remembering that she forgot to rotate the pans of bar nuts in the oven, give her an insurmountable number of tasks her second day, especially in light of the Hobart still being broken, and then win her over by staying later than I originally expected, and comforting her with a story about how slow I was when I first started working in a kitchen...

Yup... that will be the way it goes... one day down the road... until next time, if you ever realize you are having "the worst day ever" consider the odds at which you are having that bad day against, and think about playing the lottery... maybe in actuality, it might be your "lucky day" - in one way or another you are beating all the odds... I wish I had considered buying a lottery ticket or even a scratch ticket Friday night... I might have been a billionare by now...

Anyway... I'm rambling because I'm deliriously tired... if I go to sleep now, I'll get 7 hours... sounds like a good plan... night night!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see my mistakes once I finish school! I can't wait to see you. I am going to be there this weekend! You are awesome and I hope that your 3rd and 4th day are a lot better!

4/02/2007 7:42 AM  
Blogger Tisra said...

Congratulations on this exciting journey. Tiring, but so worthwhile. Usually, the most valuable things are the things that exhaust you, make you weepy, and challenge you to be your best. Trust me, I'm a mommy. :-)

And, Candie, um.... I think the mistakes *doctors* make are a little more scary. Try not to make too many. :-)

4/02/2007 8:53 PM  
Blogger mikeshelbo said...

blthis is the best use of curse words that i have ever known you to use.... im so proud of you... and for more than proper cursing... always remember practice makes better and dont take any guff from these swine!... love ya keep it up holmes it will be easy cheesey soon and no hobart will matter...

4/04/2007 2:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home